Juici Patties has become an iconic brand by manufacturing one of Jamaica’s favourite snack foods. The following are a few fun facts about this brand that I would like to share with you.
1. The founder is Jukie Gladstone Chin who was born in November 1961.
2. Jukie first learned how to make patties at his sister’s and brother-in-law’s restaurant in 1978.
3. Jukie went back to his parents grocery store in the fishing village of Rocky Point in the parish of Clarendon and started baking beef patties and selling them.
4. In 1981, operating from the parish capital of May Pen, Jukie established his brand as Juici Beef Patties.
5. Juici Beef Patties was later re branded to Juici Patties to reflect the expanded patty offerings such as chicken, soy and shrimp.
6. Juici Patties is the only local restaurant franchise to operate in all parishes of Jamaica.
7. Forty six of the sixty two restaurants are owned by franchise holders, having started franchising its operations in the 1990s.
8. Juici Patties has a manufacturing plant in Toronto, Canada where they produce frozen patties for supermarkets there.
9. Juici Patties exports its products to Caribbean islands such as Cayman Islands, St. Kitts, St. Vincent, Turks and Caicos Islands. There is a franchise operation in Guyana which was started in 2013.
10. Jukie was nominated for the Jamaica Observer’s Business Leader Award in 2000.
11. In 2003, Jukie was given a national honour, the Order of Distinction.
12. Juici Patties has a productive capacity of 40 million patties per year.